StadiumPosts Logo
Stay upto date with notifications from Stadiumposts
Notifications can be managed in browser preferences

MANCHESTER CITY EMERGE AS FAVOURITES TO SIGN £100M STAR ELLIOT ANDERSON

Manchester City lead the race for £100m Elliot Anderson. Discover why Newcastle are out and how the Forest star fits Pep's plans.

Manchester City Emerge As Favourites To Sign £100m Star Elliot Anderson
Man City Overtakes Newcastle And Man Utd For Elliot Anderson

Journalist Pete O’Rourke says Manchester City are leading the race to sign Nottingham Forest’s Elliot Anderson. Newcastle? They’re not really in the running. Eddie Howe has made it clear he’d love to bring Anderson back, and honestly, he didn’t want to let him go in the first place when Forest bought him in 2024.

Since then, Anderson’s gone up a level. He’s become one of Forest’s standout players and, really, one of the best central midfielders in the league right now. No surprise he’s attracting attention; there’s a long list of clubs that want him this summer. Manchester City look like the favourites if Anderson decides to move on.

Newcastle’s chances? Pretty slim. Without Champions League football, and with financial rules like PSR and FFP in play, they just can’t match the kind of money Forest will want, likely around £100 million. It seems out of reach for them.

Anderson’s numbers back up the hype. He’s been solid all season for Forest, playing 32 games across all competitions, notching a goal and a couple of assists. Those stats don’t even tell the full story. He’s been a key presence in midfield, breaking up play, picking passes, and just generally making things happen. He doesn’t shy away from a tackle and isn’t afraid to take a shot from a distance, either.

His contract runs until 2029, so Forest aren’t under pressure to sell, and nobody’s getting him for cheap. But if City want him, they have the resources to make it happen.

Would he fit in at City? Absolutely. He’s got Premier League experience, plenty of energy, and the kind of vision Pep Guardiola loves in his midfielders. At 23, he’s still got his best years ahead of him. If City pull this off, they’re getting a player who could make an immediate impact and just keep getting better. For them, Anderson really does look like the perfect signing this summer. 

RELEGATION NO MORE: WHY MOYES SAYS EVERTON IS TOO BIG FOR BOTTOM BATTLES

Everton’s home form is in crisis! Read about David Moyes’ tactical dilemma, the Jake O'Brien red card, and the youth push today.

top-news
David Moyes Under Fire After Bournemouth Loss Ends Everton’s Unbeaten Streak

So, what's the plan for David Moyes and Everton?

Do they play it safe, park the bus, and look for counter-attacks, both home and away? Or do they start building for what's next? That could mean giving Tyler Dibling a shot and trying out Jarrad Branthwaite and Jake O’Brien as the centre-back pairing.

Could Harrison Armstrong find a place in the middle? Should they focus on letting these guys play together and forget about this season?

Right now, their home games aren't paying off. David Moyes wants the best possible finish, but some tough home games are coming up against the big teams.

It kicks off next Monday against a Manchester United team that's turned things around. It's easy to get motivated for these games, but can they do it every week?

It's frustrating because after the Bournemouth game, it was another what-if moment at home. Sure, they had chances to seal the deal, but why does this keep happening?

It's just another chance gone. You see it in both the League Cup and the FA Cup.

From my experience as a player, it feels like it comes down to the players' mentality. When they went down to 10 men, they showed they have the fight, the intensity, and the will to do it.

You see glimpses of it at Goodison Park, but maybe only four or five times a season when it really counts. They can flip the switch when the pressure is on.

Again, the problem is keeping that level up. Why can't they do that all the time?

Their away form has been great since David Moyes came back. They didn't play great against Fulham, but they got the win, and that's the main thing.

If 50,000 Everton fans had seen 11 home wins, things would probably feel better than they do now, with just the 3,000 or so who travel the country seeing all those good results. Everyone hoped for the top 10, but nobody expected it.

They can step up against better teams or when it matters, but it's always one step forward, two steps back. If you want to achieve anything in your career, you have to be steady.

The best teams can have bad games, but they still find ways to win because they know how to grind out results. I've seen it at Rangers and PSV – winning is everything, and while winning well is nice, getting those three points or getting through to the next round is what really matters.

Getting ready for the Old Firm game was easy, and getting ready for Ajax with PSV was easy, but could you do the job against the other teams?

David Moyes, the owners, and the club need to figure out how to become more clinical. This team has to get back to that winning mindset.

Even though I'm happy with where they are, I keep thinking, 'What if?' I don't care if Newcastle or Tottenham are struggling; I'm thinking about Everton, and this is a chance they didn't see coming, so they need to take it.

Fans are leaving Goodison Park disappointed, wondering why they can't get that performance together. You could tell David Moyes was really down after the Bournemouth game; it was probably the most frustrated I've seen him since he came back. He seemed really annoyed in his press conference.

He's got to take responsibility because he's the manager, and he's getting paid to sort this out. They're really struggling against teams that make a lot of subs and have full-backs that push forward.

The full-back situation is holding them back. Jake O'Brien has been great, but his sending off reminded me of when Jarrad Branthwaite first came in and got caught out against Brentford. It was waiting to happen because it's not Jake's natural position, and he got exposed.

But they also made things worse, and the game slipped away in nine crazy minutes. Bournemouth didn't want to be there on a cold Tuesday night and were wasting time from the start. They would have been happy with a draw, but Everton let them back in.

They got punished for playing it safe instead of pushing for a second goal. What if they'd actually gone with two strikers instead of bringing on Michael Keane and sticking him up front with a minute left?

Everton can't give up fighting for fair treatment from referees.

I think David Moyes has stopped trying to pressure referees, but you can't give up.

I was watching Manchester City against Fulham, and even though the ref didn't see Kenny Tete pull Antoine Semenyo's hair, VAR did. They checked it, but didn't do anything.

That's the opposite of what PGMOL chief Howard Webb said on Sky Sports. He said Michael Keane's sending off was the right call, and it would be the same next week.

But that's not what happened, and it confuses Everton fans. I've heard that Webb has been visiting clubs, including Everton, telling them about how many decisions they're getting right.

But it's not 100%. If you have VAR, it should be 100% right because you can watch incidents back from all angles.

Everyone knows referees and their assistants can make mistakes, but the people at Stockley Park shouldn't. They have everything they need to get every decision right.

The people on VAR duty are basically re-refereeing games when they shouldn't be, and they're not consistent, whether it's the hair-pull or other incidents. In that same City v Fulham game, Phil Foden made a bad challenge and got away with it, but Everton players like Phil Jagielka and Allan have been sent off for challenges that weren't nearly as bad and got suspensions.

Then, this weekend, the FA Cup games didn't have VAR, and a lot of the refs couldn't make the right calls. I think the standard of refereeing in this country is really bad, and they're not helping themselves.

People like Webb and other former referees go on TV and try to defend their colleagues by coming up with new ways to explain things, but it annoys me and other fans.

They talk about Everton firsts, but unlike a lot of Goodison Park's proud records, these haven't been good. Forget Keane and the hair-pull; back in 2017, Oumar Niasse was the first player to get a retrospective ban for supposedly trying to trick a ref, but I can't remember too many more like that.

TURF MOOR TURMOIL: WHY MANSFIELD’S FA CUP SHOCK COULD END SCOTT PARKER’S REIGN

Scott Parker’s Burnley future is in doubt! Read about the 2-1 loss to Mansfield and the favourites to replace him at Turf Moor.

top-news
Scott Parker Facing Sack After Burnley’s Humiliating 2-1 FA Cup Loss

Scott Parker’s job at Burnley is hanging by a thread. After their latest defeat, the club looks ready to make a quick decision about his future.

Mansfield shocked everyone at Turf Moor, knocking Burnley out of the FA Cup with a 2-1 win. Losing at home to a League One side didn’t sit well with anyone. Mick Brown, the former Man United chief scout, told Football Insider this loss might be the final straw for Parker.

Sure, Burnley pulled off a wild 3-2 comeback against Crystal Palace in their last league game, and people thought that might save Parker for a bit. But now, things look shaky. Fans are calling for his head. The board aren't convinced he can win them back, and patience is running out.

Brown spoke to Football Insider on February 9 and said the club might have no choice but to sack Parker, especially after the reaction to recent results at Turf Moor. Last season, Burnley stuck by him as they charged through the Championship, but now, his position looks almost impossible to defend.

“Honestly, it looks like Parker’s time is up,” Brown said. Their form in the Premier League has been awful. That win against Palace may have bought him a little time, but it’s not enough. Things aren’t turning around, relegation feels inevitable, and getting knocked out of the FA Cup like that is just crushing. Getting dumped out at home by a lower-league team? It’s hard to forgive.

The fans are fed up. The board’s doubting him, too. I think they’ll make a decision right away. Whether it’s this week or soon, I just can’t see him keeping the job, and that’s tough after how well they did last season.”

So, who steps in if Parker goes? The pressure has already kicked off a wave of rumours about his replacement, especially with Burnley’s Premier League survival looking grim.

Sean Dyche’s name is everywhere. He left Nottingham Forest recently, and Vitor Pereira replaced him there. Dyche is a familiar face at Burnley, with nearly a decade at the club, over 400 games, and legend status among fans.

Steven Gerrard and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer are also in the mix. Both want back into the Premier League. Solskjaer missed out on the interim job at Man United last month, and Gerrard turned down a return to Rangers earlier this season, so both are still on the market.

Premier League Standings

WhatsApp Read More News